8.23.2005

The Princess-Locked-in-a-Tower Syndrome

Like a princess locked up in a tower by her parents, most of us of the female gender long to have a dashing prince rescue us from the daily drudgery of our life. We want a man who will pursue us hard-core--stopping at nothing (not fire-breathing dragons, not fire-breathing fathers wielding shotguns).

In modern-day this looks a little different. We want a man who will take initiative in a relationship, someone who will romantically pursue us and convince us that we are wanted.

I want to know WHY.

Why do I want some man to pursue me? Is it something that has been instilled into my head and heart as long as I have watched Disney movies? Or is it something that has been instilled deep within my soul since the time mankind was created? Okay, maybe that's getting too serious. Anyways, I just started questioning that for the first time today. I think that there is a little of both aspects in my desire for being pursued. God created me with a need to feel wanted. Now, I have found that even in great relationships with men, this need cannot be fully met. I think only Jesus can make me feel totally wantable (yes, you probably haven't ever seen that word before; don't worry, I haven't either). But there is the desire for a man to give me a glimpse of Jesus pursuing me. What does that look like? Does that always look like taking initiative? (Have I been at CIU too long because I am asking this question?) Is that just selfish: me always wanting a man to break the ice? Or, is that biblical: me letting him "lead"?

All I know is that Jesus does pursue me, and communicates that to me in a way I can understand. I need Him to do that; I need Him to feel wantable--to feel valuable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go here --http://www.xanga.com/item.aspx?user=bazilplace&tab=weblogs&uid=289664149 -- to read my thoughts on this subject. Mine has a bit more of a prose feeling to it...
Love, sem*

Free Blog Counter