8.24.2005

Losing my sanctification

This summer, a friend of mine said that if his vehicle was giving him so much trouble, then ownership of such a vehicle might be the end of his sanctification. Well, if there was ever to be a material object over which my sanctification could be lost--If there was ever a way to get to me and frustrate me the most--it would be through my computer. I haven't even been using my own computer to post these last couple of days, because it's about to go kaput. Thank goodness for sharing roommates. So, okay, I'm not serious about losing my sanctification...

Anyways, something real to write about: I think it's interesting how much the OT talks about God as a lover. I'm not just talking about the Song of Solomon (whatever your theological view on that book may be). I'm talking about all the times God calls himself the husband of Israel, and all the times he calls the nation a prostitute because of their unfaithfulness to him. God doesn't feel our sin like an unbiased judge feels (or doesn't feel) the pain of the victim in the case he is presiding over; God feels our sin like a lover who has been cheated on.

Somehow my mind is trying to connect this with my previous nights' conversation about being pursued. The pursuit of a husband is perhaps different than the pursuit of a man not yet married; or is it? I think the purpose of the pursuit is a bit different. A man not yet married is trying to get the woman to marry him; a man married is trying to maintain the relationship. But I think the reason the woman wants to be pursued is the same. A woman not yet married needs to know that she is wantable, and a woman who is married needs to know that she is still wantable. So, in connecting these two conversations, I think that I need to look at how God pursues us. He pursues us for two different reasons. First, he pursues us in order to bring us to himself (the time when we first know him, and give our lives to his control); and then, he pursues us in order to maintain the relationship (as we continue to surrender different things that come up in our lives to him). But the reason we want to be pursued is the same--we want to know that someone cares about us deeply. So, how does God pursue us? How does he pursue me? Maybe I'll find out tomorrow...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, good. I don't have to join blogspot to leave a comment. ;)
It's funny that you started blogging... after that comment Mark made about on-campus people talking more online than in person... But I don't think we'll have that problem. :) Plus it's a totally different medium. It's like writing letters. To, uh... lots of people. I think better in writing anyway.
I like what you've said so far. Have you figure out yet how He pursues us?

Free Blog Counter