10.19.2005

What style is your theology?

You know what irks me? It's when people let their style preference guide their theology. (Before I get much farther, I have to say that this is probably true of me in some areas, but if that is so, please, friends, point it out to me.) It's like the rock-music-with-drums-equals-the-devil mentality never left. I'm not saying that mentality is still prevalent in the Christian community at large today, but there are other mentalities. For instance, out-of-the-box music: anything that is not streamlined Christian radio or Chris Tomlin-ish in sound, or anything that is not words put together in a fashion that we are used to hearing (ie: cliche). At the sound of this music, we sometimes get confused and think that it is sinful music. We are judging music by our personal tastes, people, and while that is okay to do if you are judging it and claiming that you don't like it and don't want to listen to it but it is okay if others listen to it, it is NOT okay if you are judging it and claiming that you don't like it because it is sinful and God will have none of it. That is criticizing some artists whom God has chosen to make/write music. As a writer, I have recently had my work criticized. Now, I don't take criticism well (what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...), but I could take this, because it was simply a matter of opinion (and I knew the person cared about me). But, imagine someone not liking your work because he/she claimed that it was sinful?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all sorts of music, and even if I don't particually feel ministered to by a certian style of music, I can normally suck it up.

I was talking with Bill before bed last night (I always get phlisophical right before bed), and I said "people analyze worship too much" to which Bill replied "or they don't analyze it at all". Which translated means, "people find different styles and forms uncomfortable and therefore put labels on them". Whether it be the "sinful" label or the "that style/form just doesn't do it for me" label. Labels are bad, especially if you allow your heart to be closed.

Sure, music is my primary language I use for worship and I know that others have different ways they feel most connected. However, I TRY not to label things as "not for me". The Holy Spirit has used some strange stuff to get my attention before. Others need to realize that our God is not limited by our style.

Anonymous said...

oh, and I don't take criticism well either.

Genevieve said...

Clarification: I don't know what came across, but this deal about music being sinful was not directed toward me. Maybe someday I will have that "privilege".

I think it's not even so much that people say "that music's not for me"; it's that they say "that music's not for anyone". You know what I mean?

Anonymous said...

Yeah...some people do think that.

Kevin Beck said...

Genevieve,
Music is the devil's tool!

Really, I'm listening to Arabic synth as I'm wirting this. Very cool. Very moving. Very soulful.

BTW, your blog inspired me to start my own. Yikes!

Later,
Kevin

Genevieve said...

Kevin-

My blog inspired you to start your own?! That is way cool! What's your URL?

And what/who is Arabic synth? Website? I was checking out artists on Ryan Sharp's website this morning and found some cool ones. You should check it out if you haven't already: the cobaltseason.blogspot.com.

Kevin Beck said...

Genevieve,
Arabic synth is sort of techno with a middleastern bent. Very cool stuff. At least I think so.

Thanks for the site. I'll check it out. And thanks for stopping at my blog too. I appreciate your comments.

rawbbie said...

cool thoughts...I have been in conveersations with people about worship (I don't lead music time at a church nor do I have a musical bone in my body but love to sing praises and prayers) and have the opinion that any mature christian should be able to worship in any style or situation. The group that is choosing the music/style of worship should be very considerate of outsiders and newbies. If that means Rock, by gollie grama better put on some moshing shoes!
ppbgzdl

Genevieve said...

Robbie,
What does ppbgzdl mean?

Free Blog Counter