10.14.2005

Coincidental Meeting

I was talking with someone at the Emerging conference I went to this week (maybe you're now reading my blog), and they told me about the artist Sufjan Stevens. Well, I looked him up one morning in my hotel room, but the wi-fi was a bit too slow to actually listen to him, so I just listened to the first 14 seconds of his song like 4 times.

On the way home to Columbia today, I had a layover in Atlanta, and I met a guy attached to an ipod (of which I was extremely jealous), and he is an actor/musician type. On a whim I asked him if he had heard of Sufjan, because he seemed like he would be into that kind of indie original music. He was like, "Yeah, actually, I have some of his stuff on my ipod; do you wanna listen?" Too cool. His name was Colin Smith, and I'll probably never see him again, but we had a good chat about the evils of the music industry, and the vision that artists should be allowed to create the art that is within them, instead of the art that their producers think they should formulate. By the way, I really like what I've heard of Sufjan. Anyone know any other indie artists in the same vein? Ever heard of Iron & Wine? That was another one he introduced me to.

Anyways, the emerging conference was amazing. I needed to be there, and to chase thoughts that have been bouncing around in my head for a while. I have a lot of thinking and conversing to do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss you!!! You can converse with me after breakfast tomorrow at my house!!!

Anonymous said...

Gen,
I found your blog. Great stuff. Also, I'm contacting my friend in Nashville about you and your music. Hopefully, he'll be in touch.

Kevin

Genevieve said...

Hey thanks Kevin. I visited the presence website. Interesting; I had no idea you were involved in it. What is the ministry about? And can I have your e-mail? I think I gave you mine, but just in case it's vives927@gmail.com.

Anonymous said...

Genevieve,
Thanks for stopping by the site. At Presence, we look at the covenantal transformation Jesus envisioned and enacted as a model for personal transformation. Transformed people lead to transformed organizations (families, churches, businesses, economies, etc), which result in transformed societies.

My email is kevin@presence.tv.

Peace,
Kevin

rawbbie said...

Wow, I found it. Did you get to talk to Troy? He threw me some good artists to check out, including iron and wine. But yeah, I dig the blog.

Free Blog Counter