1.28.2006

A stumbling block

What do you think it means to be a "stumbling block" to someone? And how far do we go in order not to be a stumbling block for another person? I mean, do we give up everything questionable, just in case someone has a problem with that certain action? You can't know someone has a problem with what you're doing unless they confront you on it. How can I be responsible for what people might possibly be thinking? If someone tells me they have a problem with what I am doing, and it is causing a spiritual roadblock for them, I will gladly stop for that person's sake, but am I to not do the thing just because it might be a spiritual roadblock to someone that hasn't told me it is?

I was pondering these things by the fireplace last night around 1:30am (I guess that would be this morning), and I couldn't come to a conclusion, except I think I disagree with Mr. Bedell. That kind of scares me, because he is a very wise man. Maybe I'm just rebellious.

4 comments:

rod said...

Ok, coming from me, you know that this is just opinion, because I know not enough to speak from knowledge. But it seems to me that we get the stumbling block thing, and the weaker brother thing, and the appearance of evil thing all mixed up. We generally claim the weaker brother thing when we are feeling judgemental about someone else's behavior. Somehow it doesn't seem to occur to us that we are claiming to BE the weaker brother.
Then the stumbling block thing, seems to me that it should mean actually to cause someone else to stumble by our behavior. But has anyone who's ever corrected us, or confronted us actually been caused to stumble? Or are they just feeling judgemental of our behavior? If I were to drink a beer, would I cause you to stumble or merely be dissapointed that I didn't behave as you wished I would behave? Stumble needs defining I think.

Anonymous said...

Last semester in Ethics & Sanctification we discussed this topic, and I think I agree with what Dr. Layman (And Dr. McQuilken) seem to say, and that is when we cause someone to stumble, we cause them to sin. They are synonymous. So if someone comes to you and says, you're causing me to stumble, just say, "Oh, I'm sorry. I never wanted my actions to cause you to sin." If they get defensive, then they were probably just being judgmental in the first place.

Anonymous said...

Dude, how in the world are you? I haven't seen you in so long... *tears*

April said...

it definitely depends on the situation. for instance, if a woman in the church is wearing things that are innapropriate and its causing men, married or single, to think certain things(believe it or not this is very common and men have an issue with this whether they admit to it or not), than yes, that is WRONG.

If I drink beer and another person doesnt think its ok and they are trying to say its a stumbling block...well....I guess if they are alcoholics then it would be a stumbling block. But drinking is really in one of those grey areas isnt it. the bible says not to get drunk, it doesnt say dont drink any alcoholic beverages ever. I guess its all about discernment, and knowing Gods Word.

Free Blog Counter